The National Basketball Association (NBA) is the undisputed men’s professional basketball league in the world. NBA online gives fans the opportunity to make the most of fanship.
Established in New York City on 6 June 1946, its players are among the world’s best- paid athletes. The NBA is also widely considered as the premier men’s professional basketball league in the world.
Today it has 30 teams – one in Canada and the rest in the USA.
What is the NBA?
The NBA is one of four major professional sports leagues in the USA and Canada.
The NBA’s head office is situated on New York’s famous Fifth Avenue, while its Entertainment and Television divisions operate out of offices in Secaucus, New Jersey.
The NBA’s color barrier was broken during the 1947/8 season when Japanese-American Wataru Misaka appeared for the New York Knicks.
Then in 1950, African-American Harold Hunter signed for the Washington Capitols. Others followed suit and included Chuck Cooper for Celtics, Nathaniel “Sweetwater” Clifton for the Knicks and Earl Lloyd for the Washington Capitols.
In 1969 Alan Siegel created the NBA logo. It incorporates the silhouette of the legendary Jerry West, based on a photo by Wen Roberts.
During 1979, rookies Magic Johnson (Los Angeles Lakers) and Larry Bird (Boston Celtics) made their appearance, renewing fan interest not only in the USA but worldwide.
The two (seen in action above), went on to lead their teams to eight titles – Johnson five and Bird three.
Former NBA commissioner David Stern (below) steered expansion and growth of the NBA to a global commodity during his term of office – from 1984 until his retirement in 2014.
The legendary Michael Jordan entered the scene in 1984, signing with the Chicago Bulls, and soon became a worldwide household name. He too fuelled the popularity of the NBA.
In 1992, the Olympic basketball “Dream Team” featured NBA stars for the first time in its line-up. Included were anchor Michael Jordan, along with Bird and Johnson, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Scottie Pippen, Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Chris Mullin, Charles Barkley and Christina Laettner.
Eleven “Dream Team” players have been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame.
How to sign into the NBA online
Visit the NBA: https://secure.nba.com/membership/user/register/
- To create an account enter your email address
- Now enter a password of between 6-20 characters
- Enter your date of birth, country and postal code
- You can also Sign In with Facebook
Step 2 will personalize your NBA experience.
1. Enter your First Name
2. Enter your Surname
3. Enter your Gender
4. Enter your Country
5. Enter your Postal Code
Once you have completed the required information, a drop-down menu appears at the bottom of the page.
Simply tick the various options to personalize your NBA experience.
Then click Save Personalizations.
This Welcome to Your New NBA Account screen will now appear and you are set to go.
How to retrieve your login details
Visit the NBA: https://secure.nba.com/membership/user/forgotpassword
- You will now be asked to enter your email address
- Once you have entered that information, click the Submit button
- The NBA will send you a message with instructions on how to reset your password
Why you have to sign up for NBA Online
The NBA website offers members a League Pass site.
Tabs at the top of the page display:
- At the press of a button, you can view results.
- This brings up a page where you can watch a recap of the latest game played in the NBA series or a recap of any of the last nine clashes between NBA teams.
- NBA TV. This is live streaming and the ultimate experience for international fans. You can watch multiple basketball games every week, highlights and press conferences, as well as an exclusive platform for international audiences. Fans have to pay for this privilege and can purchase an annual League Pass “ticket”.
- NBA League Pass. This page displays the different rates applicable to your selection of viewing. You can watch every game every night, select up to eight games a month, follow a particular team, or buy a single game ticket.
- Keep up-to-date with the log standings on each of the 30 NBA teams.
- The Stats button will give you the rundown on the latest NBS statistics.
- Obtain first-hand knowledge on all the players, with photographs, in the current NBA season.
- This gives you a drop down menu of each of the 30 teams.
- Place your cursor on this to display items you can purchase including NBA jerseys, hats, footwear and other clothing for men, women, and children.
- This page displays the logos of the 30 NBA teams. Click on the team of choice to find out the cost of a ticket to attend a game.
While the NBA.com Network is committed to safeguarding the privacy of its members, by making use of the site your information is added to the data collection pool.
This information could include your full name and date of birth, as well as your postal and email address. Other information collected by NBA online could be about your use of various products and programs.
If you elect to provide personal information, such as in your profile, that information could be made available to the general public.
The NBA.com Network may also provide links to third-party sites like advertisers and companies that offer various features on the NBA.com Network. This could include ticket purchases, subscription services, chat rooms, message boards and fantasy games.
What you get
If you are a basketball fan then joining the NBA online community as a fan is essential.
Not only does it keep you up-to-date with all the latest news and stats, you can also watch video clips of games FREE of charge.
For more avid fans, joining the paid League Pass site allows you to watch games in their entirety. This is particularly appealing to international fans who may not have access to television stations streaming live games.
The NBA.com site is available worldwide.
Games are televised in more than 200 countries, as well as hundreds of national broadcasts in the USA every year on ABC, ESPN, TNT and NBA TV.
The NBA LEAGUE PASS allows fans to watch games live and is available worldwide.
As an international league that accepts players from all nations, the NBA has communication centers in London, Hong Kong, Manila, Beijing, Madrid, and Johannesburg.
It also recently completed a series of regular-season games in Mexico City.
Mobile, android, iPhone and smartphone
- If you are an NBA League Pass subscriber you can watch every game live and on-demand via the NBA App
- The Premium game experience gives you live stats, scores and, with NBA Rapid Replay, you can view real-time highlights
- The NBA Mobile View optimizes games videos for your phone and tablet
- More than 50 new videos every day, including video caps and top plays
- You are also privy to league news, standings, and photos
You can access the NBA App on the Google Play Store, the Apple App Store, and the Amazon Kindle Fire.
Security and privacy issues
NBA stores personal information in secure and climate controlled facilities.
It protects data with backup programs, consistency checks and restricted access to information on its servers.
Financial information, like credit details supplied when completing online transactions, is also protected.
The NBA warns that whatever information is transmitted online can be unlawfully intercepted by third parties.
Cool stuff to do
Shopping at the NBA online store is a really cool feature.
Best of all is you can even design clothing to your own taste – choose a color, select a graphic and personalize the item with your own number.
You can even click on a Sales tab and purchase clothing and accessories at discounted prices.
How does the NBA make money?
The NBA’s most lucrative income is from franchises.
The average NBA franchise is worth $1.36 billion, according to Forbes.
The cost of a franchise has increased more than three-fold in the last five years.
Topping the list is the New York Knicks with a current value of $3.3 billion and revenue estimated at $376 million.
It also makes millions of dollars from sales of tickets, merchandise, and subscriptions.
Takeaways about the NBA
- In July 2007, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) investigated allegations that Tim Donaghy, a veteran NBA referee, was taking bets on basketball games he officiated over. Donaghy spent 15 months in prison after pleading guilty to federal charges.
- Donald Sterling who then owned the Los Angeles Clippers, received a lifetime ban from the NBA in April 2014, when racist remarks he made became public. Sterling was fined $2.5 million, the maximum allowed under the NBA Constitution.
- The NBA is also the only league that schedules Christmas Day games and has been playing these regularly since 1947.
- Topping the NBA Championships with 17 wins are the Boston Celtics. Second is the Los Angeles Lakers (16), Chicago Bulls (six) and San Antonio Spurs (five).
Keep NBA online login details safe
Site membership to NBA is password protected.
Never divulge your NBA online password or account information to anyone else.
The NBA.com Network will never ask for your password via e-mail and should you receive such a request, contact the NBA.com Network immediately at FanRelations@NBA.com.